Pilot punches are used in progressive dies as a locating tool. When a punch pierces a hole in one station, the press cycles the die and the material is moved to the next station. The pilot punch enters the hole and positions the material in an exacting location before the press cycles the next stroke. Precision Punch pilot punches are ideal for tool designers that desire close tolerance, long lasting, accurate pilots in high production and high-strength materials. These pilots may also be used for extrusion applications.
Pilot Punches: Standard and Custom
Precision Punch & Tooling offers a complete line of standard pilot punches and has the engineering expertise and experience to provide “special” and “custom” pilot punches for our customer’s existing as well as new applications. Our “special” and “custom” tooling results in our customers having improved in-plant productivity and quality performance as well as reduced manufacturing cost.
Precision Punch & Tooling capabilities include but are not limited to:
1. Manufacturing Diameters from .004 to 1.250 inches while holding tolerances down to .0001 inches.
2. Manufacturing Point Diameters down to .003 inches.
3. Manufacturing Lengths up to 12 inches long.
4. Surface Finishes down to 2 micro (Ra or RMS)
5. Manufactured in metric also for specials and custom parts.
6. Concentricity up to .0005 T.R.I., depending on part design could be tighter.
7. Offer the widest range of in-stock materials including but not limited to A-2, D-2, M-2,M-7, M-42, M-50, S-7, H-13, PM-M4, PM-3V, PM-9V, PM-10V, PM-15V, 0-1, 52-100, 17-4, 15-5, 300 series Stainless Steel and 400 series Stainless Steel as well as other grades.